[Shr-Devel] Security features of SHR

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Fri May 28 15:35:47 CEST 2010

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster at rasterman.com> writes:
> [...]
[...]
> > > My spouse lending my phone, so that she has access to her own
> > > database, messages (and even SIM if we should choose to exchange it).
> > > Lending the phone to another person (that's what PIN2 is for, AFAIK).
> >
> > Still not satisfied because sharing phones is very unusual.
>
> people often enough say: "my phone battery is dead - can i use
> yours? i'll use my sim card so you don't have to pay". and you lend
> them your phone. you'd like the user logged in to be tied to the sim
> card in this case, so new sim card == create new empty user for it.

Many households also *do* just share one phone--rather than belonging to
an individual, it's basically a `house phone' that just happens to be
wireless. The same goes for laptops, actually; and it's hard to imagine
anyone saying "sharing computers is very unusual" with a straight face,
even today.

Even in, say, a family where everyone has their own phone, *smartphones*
are still precious enough for it to be prohibitive for everyone to have
one of *them*--when everyone in the household has a cheap candybar phone,
and Mom or Dad has the one smartphone, it makes quite a bit of sense
for everyone else to be asking `(Mom|Dad), may I use the smartphone?'.

Indeed, as my own familiy approaches to the point where I have kids
who are old enough to have phone-calls and e-mail with friends, but
not ready to be set given the responsibility of managing their own
smartphone, I can see myself being more attracted to this pattern.

> another case - corporate use. companies want to make their employees
> do more outside the office - this means being mobile. this also
> means you have, these days, a company phone AND a private phone
> often enough. the company wants their specific apps and
> customisations isolated on their phones. not mixed up with tonnes of
> other junk/malware/games you install on your private phone. as such
> this separationg is possible via users on a single devce, so in the
> long term when in "work mode" you simply switch to the work user id

Indeed--the Nokia that I bought my wife a two years ago already does
something like this. One can tell by the specific nature of the feature
that their implementation is more klugey (`You can have TWO separate
home screens!'), but the end user experience is close enough to be
a supporting example.

If my FreeRunner doesn't end up going this way, then I guess my wife
will be the one who whom the kids ask, `Can I use the smartphone?'.