[Shr-User] a new bluetooth manger
cs at mail.architektur.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Feb 23 08:51:31 CET 2011
I finally found some time to get the basics up and running, here is a
first snapshot of my work, I hope you'll enjoy it.
It's work in progress, so don't expect everything to work, as it is
My main problem at the moment is, that I don't have any idea how to get
the dbus stuff in it's own loop apart from the gui. Every attempt to run
a second loop in it's own thread failed so far. A few days I read
somewhere on the elementary site that the ecore mailoop isn't
thread-save, that might explain some things. Unfortunately the whole
documentation about the e-stuff is very thin, especially the python api,
I couldn't find much except form the C api and the python examples in
Is there anyone out there, who might know, how to run the dbus in python
in it's own loop? ffphonelog looks like someone managed to run dbus i/o
without blocking the elementary gui, but I think it's written in C/Vala?.
Before I say something abount the application a few more questions:
A question to the shr-team:
Do you mind to host the application (svn or git ...)?
Is there an useful howto about ipk packaging, or would someone with more
experience would volunteer to help with the packaging?
Now to the application:
You can find a first snapshot here:
For now I call it 'beetee'
Whats implemented right now?
- get a list of your already paired (or created) devices
- scan for new devices
- pair with new devices (works very ugly due to my dbus problems)
- delete scanned or paired devices
- connect or disconnect devices
- autoconnect already known devices
- reconnect connected devices after suspend (a bit slow for now)
Problems and unfinished Stuff:
- Either the settings and the device-properties (optins->more) are
missing for now.
- I just started to integrate the static config file.
- Most bluetooth devices are still useless without further manual
configuration (sadly my headset - and to get that working in a usable
manner seems to be a bitch, I trashed my fsodeviced already twice).
- Pairing with other computers / cell-phones only works if the pairing
is initiated by beetee (due to my dbus problem) or might not work at all.
- I just have a few bluetooth devices for testing, so maybe other ones
do not work.
- speeding up some things, mostly starting dbus calls in their own
thread so the don't block other things.
- lot's of debug stuff slows the whole thing further down.
- after a suspend the app needs some time to comeup again (tweaking
needed, but I have some ideas)
- closing the app, means no reconnect or autoconnect of devices.
- Since bluetoothd isn't started by default, beetee starts it for now
(but I don't like that)
- ... and much, much more ...
I dropped the quit button as Rui suggested
How to use:
For now I just have a tar with the app, no ipk package. Just untar it in
to root (not /home/root). It contains a desktop-file
(/usr/share/applications/...) and the app with it's icons
PS.: Second attempt, I didn't know about the size limit - sorry for that.
More information about the Shr-User